Vitamin B-12 is a nutrient crucial for healthy nerves, bones, blood and more. However, your body cannot create this vitamin on its own, so it must be through food or some form of supplement. Vitamin B-12 is primarily found in meat, fish, eggs and dairy. Because of this, vegetarian or vegan diets can lead to a deficiency without additional supplementation.
Vitamin B-12 deficiency side effects can include anemia, fatigue, intestinal issues, muscle weakness, nerve damage, and poor mood. Maintaining proper vitamin B-12 levels can alleviate these symptoms and promote overall health and wellness. Some of the most prominent benefits of maintaining proper vitamin B-12 levels include:
- It assists in energy production. B vitamins, including B-12, aid in converting food into the energy your body needs to be alert and active.
- It helps form red blood cells. Vitamin B-12 deficiencies have been found to cause a decrease in the quantity and quality of red blood cell production. Rather than healthy small round cells, an individual with a vitamin B-12 deficiency tends to have larger and oval shaped red blood cells. These larger cells can cause many health issues including anemia, fatigue, and weakness.
- It can support your brain’s health. Vitamin B-12 has been found to slow mental decline and prevent the loss of neurons in the brain. Many studies show that vitamin B-12 deficiency is associated with ailments like low cognitive function and dementia.
- It may improve your mood. Vitamin B-12 plays an important part in creating and metabolizing serotonin, the chemical in charge of regulating your mood. If you are vitamin B-12 deficient, you also run the risk of decreased serotonin production and a subsequent depressed mood.
- It’s good for your bones. Multiple studies have found links between low vitamin B-12 and ailments such as low bone mineral density and an increased risk of osteoporosis.
- It promotes healthy skin, nails, and hair. Low vitamin B-12 can cause many symptoms such as nail discoloration, hair changes, vitiligo, hyperpigmentation and more. Vitamin B-12 supplements have been found to improve these issues in individuals with a deficiency.
Maximize Your Vitamin B-12 Absorption
Considering the many benefits of maintaining proper vitamin B-12 levels, it’s not wonder why so many are looking for the best way to boost their vitamin B-12 intake. Aside from eating foods rich in vitamin B-12, this nutrient can also be taken orally via a high dose supplement. Unfortunately, oral consumption of vitamin B-12 supplements can have a very low absorption rate due to digestive system inefficiencies. Fortunately, there are new and improved ways to boost your vitamin B-12—taking it through an IV.
Prime IV offers numerous IV drips specifically formulated to improve your health and wellness—including The Revitalizer which has a double dose of vitamin B-12. Taking vitamins and nutrients intravenously puts them directly into your bloodstream and provides the maximum benefit by bypassing the less efficient absorption of the stomach. Also, waiting hours for digestion is a thing of the past! Our IVs take 30-60 minutes and have you back on the road to peak health. Find your nearest Prime IV location to book an appointment today!